This article will be updated with the latest news, images and dates for our upcoming automatic release.
We want to thank everyone so much for their patience and support throughout this process. So far we've received over 1,800 early bird sign-ups, with 94% of sign-ups taking the time to fill out our 15 question survey (thank you!). We've read every single comment and have integrated many customer ideas into the final offering.
While our goal is to deliver our mechanical lineup as quickly as possible, in an industry built on attention to detail, our top priority is ensuring that the Vaer Automatic meets and exceeds everyone's expectations (including the editors at Hodinkee). After you've reviewed the below information, we'd love any updated feedback you have.
Below is an overview of our current timeline:
May 30, 2019 - Receive first batch of final case prototype (looks awesome!)
June 1, 2019 - Begin pre-order for Swiss ETA (very limited pieces)
June 7, 2019 - Email Update with Detailed Imagery of all Models
Late June, 2019 - Vaer Early-Bird Launch (Early Access to Early-Bird Sign Ups)
July 9th, 2019 - Kickstarter Launch!
August 7th, 2019 - Kickstarter End - and start of production
Mid October, 2019 - Assembly (Swiss & American) Process Begins
Mid November, 2019 - Swiss and US Assembly watches start shipping to backers
Late November, 2019 - Automatic launches for full retail on our online store
We've finally received the production prototype of our automatic case design and we could not be happier. We're now extremely confident that our watch will stand toe-to-toe with watches 3x-6x higher than our $450 retail price tag. The case finishing and crown are perfect, and the size and proportion of the watch (40mm x 10mm) are astounding for a sub-$500 piece.
On-wrist, it's going to be an incredible upgrade over the crowded field of similarly affordable, lower performance Seiko NH35 and Miyota 8215 powered automatics.
The pictures speak to the overall quality better than anything but here are some additional notes:
- BGW9 Super-LumiNova on Hands and Numerals is beautiful and powerful. We’ve increased the numeral lume from our current Quartz offering.
- Our initial case prototypes were in the 14mm thickness range and front loaded. After talking with customers and the editorial community we concluded that this simply wasn't acceptable. To solve the problem we hired out a top-tier case designer (and paid handsomely) to design a beautifully thin 9mm case (10mm including the domed sapphire), that was also back-loaded to allow for easy repair and maintenance.
- The 28,800 BPH of the Miyota 9015 offers a beautifully smooth, sweeping second hand.
- As with our Quartz models, all automatics will feature with screw-down crown and 10ATM water resistance
- The Swiss-Made version will be functionally identical in size and finishing to the USA Assembled Miyota version shown above. Dials and movements will differ.
Summary of Our Automatic Offering
All of our automatic watches include the below list of premium features. The watches will be offered in a number of assembly and movement options, detailed in the following sections.
- ETA 2895, ETA 2824, & Miyota 9015
- Domed sapphire crystal
- 40mm diameter case
- Under 9mm thickness
- 10 ATM & screwdown crown
- Exhibition caseback
- BGW9 Superluminova
- Swiss Made or USA Assembly
- Horween & Nato Straps
- 2 year warranty
a) American Assembly with Miyota 9015
These will retail for $450, with a $299 Kickstarter early bird slot. Those signed up for our early bird list given insider access to the $299 Kickstarter price, as an opportunity to pledge before the general public.
b) Swiss Made with ETA 2895
An homage to the Dirty Dozen watches of the 1940s, this will feature a sub dial with second hands, and an ETA 2895 movement. These pieces will be available in very limited quantities, as the ETA 2895 is quite rare.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The market for Swiss ETA movements is volatile, and the prices fluctuate frequently. Since we launched our sign-up campaign the price of a single movement has increased by 40%. In order to continue to offer a Swiss option at all, we need to increase the price for our Swiss option to $599 for Early Bird Kickstarter ($849 retail).
We have chosen to absorb most of the cost, as we want to stay close to the originally shared price. This is still an incredible rate for what will become a rare piece - most other watches using this movement are in the $2k+ price range. This pricing issue has also forced us to consolidate our offering for this movement and we will only be offering one design option for the Swiss-made sub-dial.
We are committed to locking in pricing and supply in advance, so that we can see through all orders -- we're offering users the opportunity to reserve their Swiss Made ETA 2895 unit at the below link for a non-refundable $150 deposit. For those that do choose to take this route, details are on the below page. Feel free to send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
c) Third Option - Swiss Made with ETA 2824
The ETA 2824 is 3-hand + date, so we would be able to build in the below SKUs. They would essentially be the same appearance as the Miyota American Assembly line, but with a Swiss Made movement and Swiss Made markings. This would have a $449 Early Bird Kickstarter ($599 Retail)
d) Watch Straps
All watches will include two 20mm straps of your choice with purchase . You will be able to choose any combination and color, between the following:
- Premium Nylon strap (with upgraded hardware)
- Horween Quick Release Leather Strap
- Horween Single Pass Leather Strap
- Silicon Two Piece Quick Release Strap (still in design, TBD)